Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Distress Ink Watercolouring

Good morning everyone!!! Can you believe it is almost the middle of September?? How did that happen? I am not sure but I do know the rest of the month will fly by as quickly. It is such a busy time of year for my family, back to school, 6 birthdays, and my anniversary. Crazy!

Last month I worked on a layout using some Kraftin' Kimmie stamps which I coloured using distress inks as watercolours. Yes, you read that right, distress inks can be used as watercolours!! Have a look at these not so scary, too cute halloween images!!:

I used Black Soot and Marmalade Inks on all the images. The technique is very simple:

  1. Press a Distress Ink pad onto an acrylic block or other slick surface.
  2. Spray a corner of the ink with water, the more water you use, the more dilute the colour.
  3. Load a small paint brush with wet ink and paint as desired onto a stamped image.
You will have to make sure you don't stamp the image with ink that reacts with water!! I used Ranger Archival Ink in Jet Black. I would like to say that I did up a video demonstrating how I watercoloured but I can't!!! Fortunately Hero Arts did one for us! If you would like to see it head over to there site - click here! Thank you to Shari Carroll for the video!

Thanks for looking and have a colourful day!!

2 comments:

  1. I love using Distress Inks to colour with. I just put my paint brush to the ink pad but I do mix the inks on a pallette. They blend so nicely.

    ReplyDelete