Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My Grandmother's Wedding Day



It was June of 1939. She was 19. She is 91 now. How the world has changed! Here is my latest layout created with September's Scrapbooking Kit, simply titled "Wedding"

The kit's theme was Vintage Romance and it totally inspired me to make a layout using this photo of my Grandparents. There are so few photos of them.

I did something new with this layout! I took step by step photos as I worked!!! So I could put together a brief tutorial!! Let's get started!

First off, in the kit we included a full canvas sheet of Prima Mistables. I cut out all the flowers and leaves and started to mist them using Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist.

I used Walnut Gold & Harvest Orange for the flowers, and a Dark Green with the Walnut Gold for the flourishes and leaves. While the canvas was still wet I dabbed some Walnut Distress Stain around the edges of all the canvas pieces to give them some shadow & depth.

Next up I started layering, tearing, distressing and inking my background paper. The top piece is part of the Portrait Collection by Crate Paper.

There was this piece of Prima paper that was just begging to be fussy cut:

I had to listen, so I carefully cut out around all these flowers. The paper is from the Printery Collection of Prima!! LOVE it all!!! There were several of the line included in the kit! After cutting out this section, I inked all the edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.

Now that my canvas pieces were dry, I could start layering them together with some of the Tattered Floral die cuts that were included in the kit. A few dew drops finishes them off.

SO happy with how they turned out!! Loved them so much, that I had to make a few more flowers using the Tattered Florals die:

I used another sheet of the Prima paper, inked the edges, misted with some water to crumple it up a bit, and topped with more dew drops! So pretty, so vintage!

I won't tell you how many hours it took to get to this point. I am definitely NOT the quickest scrapbooker! By now though I was ready to start assembling my layout. I had the photo mounted on a couple layers of cardstock, some other elements cut out and here is the next stage:

There are a couple brand new border punches available in the store's cropping station and I made use of one of them, and I might have purchased another new one (shhhh, we don't tell husbands!) The store's punch is the oval chain by EK Success, really love how delicate it is. I cut the border chain out yet another piece of Prima paper. The punch I had to have in my stash, simulates stitching along the edge of paper.....Brilliant! It is from Fiskars.

Well we are getting closer to the finished product!!!

I started finishing up the layers, adding the flowers, flourishes and leaves, then tucking in some clocks cut from the Prima paper. The title card is cut from the Crate Paper die cut sheet included in the kit, and of course it was distressed and inked, as were all the other elements!!! My fingers were very brown by this point!!

The last few details were the journalling strips, sprinkling some dew drops around and some little butterflies punched from a Martha Stewart Punch. And the finished layout again:

So there you are! I managed to complete one layout in 6 hours at the all day crop! I have several more in my head though!! I truly loved this kit. It might be my favourite to date!! I will leave you with a picture of the incredible kit and all its vintage goodness!!

The kit will be available for sale tomorrow, September 7th!! You can click here for more details about our monthly kits!! We think they are the best out there!!

Happy Crafting!!






3 comments:

  1. omg stunning! Crazy! Super awesome layout Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the step by step! thank you so much for sharing! Great Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Layout...

    I have photos of my dad and moms wedding along with some of there great great grandparents weddings. (A nice one of there wedding horse and buggy). I was wondering if there are any of these papers and such still available so I could make a layout for my parents 67th anniversary.

    Thank You
    Carol Button

    ReplyDelete