Saturday, January 4, 2014

Altered Art with Tim Holt Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint





*click on any pics for a closeup*

Happy Saturday!

I've been getting my 'Lori' on in my craft room this week. Whenever I do anything all altered and artsy I call it being like our lovely diva Lori hee hee! I have had a framed scrapbook page in my craft room hanging directly across from my work station since we moved here. That's not the problem. The problem is that it is a very dark wood and the rest of my room is primarily white. 

So one night I snapped.

I grabbed it down off my wall and thought 'I can do this'. After all I have been reading DIY blog posts for a year or so. I am sure to have learned something by now! I first tried painting right over top of it with Tim Holtz Distress stain in Picket Fence- to watery and rolled right off. I remembered that you are supposed to 'rough up' the finish of the painted surface so I grabbed my Tim Holtz sander and got to work. I felt like a regular Tim the Tool Man Taylor! I found the Distress stain still too runny so I found a bottle of acrylic white paint that I had grabbed from the dollar store. I let it dry for hours between layers and it took several layers. 

After I was done adding the white paint layers I was a bit stumped. It was a flat white paint and looked blah. Inspiration struck and I grabbed my Tim Holtz Rock Candy Distress Crackle paint and lathered it on. I even ran out! Which if you are a crafter like me actually running out of anything except adhesive doesn't usually happen ;). 

I then lightly inked in some Distress Ink in Tea Dye but not too much because my crackle paint was starting to crumble off. Perhaps I put it on too thickly? So I quickly stopped what I was doing and declared it finished!

It was fun being you for awhile Lori!
Till next time- happy Crafting!
Andrea

1 comment:

  1. Oh great job! Nice work... maybe I should have you over to my place!!! xox

    ReplyDelete