Monday, March 19, 2012

Big Shot workshop - part 1

Hello Stampers!


Happy Monday!  I hope everyone had the gorgeous weather that we had in London on the weekend?


Today I'd like to share with you some of the things I love to use my Sizzix Big Shot machine for!  I'm preparing a workshop for April to show some of the many ways you can use this great tool.


1.  Embossing
Embossing is to create a "raised" pattern on your card stock.  The reverse would be de-bossing, which is to create an indented pattern on your card stock.  You can use ink, powder, and heat to stamp and create an embossed pattern.  You can also use a stylus of some form, usually with a grid.  The easiest way is to use an embossing tool with a pattern already on it - to run through your Big Shot (or other machine).  There are lots of different types of embossing tools, but one of the most popular, and my favourites, is the embossing folder.  They come in all sorts of shapes & sizes (and personally - I can't understand why someone doesn't make a 6" x 6" one!).  These are very easy to use and come in a few different sizes.  You just put your card stock in the folder - and run it through your machine.

p-41645.jpg 
77433.jpg
p-41962.jpg
p-41779.jpg
You can also get embossing plates which work in basically the same way - except you create your own sandwich with your plates.  They're not as common any more.
There are so many different brands of these versatile tools - and co-brands as well.  For example - Tim Holtz makes some for Sizzix.  And Basic Grey have some with Sizzix as well.
Here are some brand new ones - that are reversible!  What a great idea - two different looks out of the same folder!  These are from Spellbinders
p-43031.jpg
p-43029.jpg




Here are some cards I've made which show you an embossed area that I've created with an embossing folder.
  

From Tim Holtz workshops, I've also learned that it can be fun to sand that raised pattern - and then ink it - to create different effects.  This works really well if you're using Tim Holtz Kraft core card stock - because it has a cool kraft centre - instead of traditional white!  You can see where I've done that on this card.
Just to add some MORE options, there are now these cool "two-in-one" folders that emboss AND die cut at the same time!  How cool is that?  They're by Marianne Designs.
p-43246.jpg
p-43245.jpg


My co-diva Anja - has some beautiful cards on her blog made with these folders.
IMG_0704.JPG.jpg


So that's it for part 1 - part 2:  Die Cutting!

Please share your comments - and ideas for other great ways to use your Big Shot.  I'll draw one comment next week to win a great EMBOSSING prize!

Sarah
xx











1 comment:

  1. I don't have a big shot, but I do have a cuttlebug. I use it for embossing. I will try some of Yor techniques mentioned in your post. I also want to try the cut and emboss folders. They look so fancy!!

    ReplyDelete