Tuesday, March 6, 2012

the many uses of distress ink

Hello stampers!


If you've ever taken one of my classes you'll know of my love for Tim Holtz distress inks!  I use them on almost every project I make.  And if you were lucky enough to score some ink pads during Sheila's last 40% off special, you might have a few colours to choose from in your stash too!


But what you might not know is how many different things you can do with those inks!


1.  I use them almost every time I colour an image, to edge the paper.  If I'm colouring with my Copics on Copic XPress it paper, then I will use the foam blending tool to add some colour to the edges.  You can see that here.
In this example, I've left the image IN the Spellbinders Nestabilities die - to create a frame - and then sponged with distress ink.  My favourite colour for this technique by the way is Antique Linen.


2.  Obviously, you can stamp with them too!  They come in a beautiful array of colours.  If you stamp an image with your distress ink - I suggest that you dry it with your heat tool to speed up that drying process.  You can see where I've done that here.
That fabulous pink I've used for the heart is Worn Lipstick.


3.  Watercolouring!  My new favourite thing.  I'll soon teach a class at SGD on this technique.  I stamp onto watercolour paper with permanent ink (I like Ranger archival ink) and then heat set it.  Then you can pick up colour in 2 ways:  either dab your ink pad onto your craft matt - or use the re-inkers into a paint palette.  Then, use a damp brush to pick up the ink - and colour away!  Here's a Magnolia (sorry Sheila) that I've coloured in that way.
And here is a tip for you - go to the Ranger website and print off the colour chart.  You'll also find a chart for the Stickles, labels for your distress inks, and many other cool things!  Here is what my chart looks like.


Now to you - share with me your thoughts about Tim Holtz distress inks - and I'll pick a comment to win a prize!  I'll draw on Thursday!


Happy stamping!
Sarah
xx



6 comments:

  1. I love his ink products...can't wait to get my markers...then we will be cooking with gas as they say! great techniques...thanks for showing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with watercolouring the Magnolia! I love using the Tim Holtz distress inks. There are so many different ways to use them. My first and favourite is Antique Linen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wondered how you get such beautiful shading around the outside of a picture, and with such a perfect border! I can't wait to try this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,
    I am also a fan of Distress Inks. I use them for the same purposes as you and love to colour with them. I unfortunately missed Sheila's 40% off sale, but I am slowly building my colour pallette. Thanks for the tip and link to Ranger for the colour chart. I look forward to taking your class on colouring with the inks. Your cards are so beautiful! I see we also share the love for LOTV!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the distress inks as well..have a few of them..I like to use them with the foam blending tool! I use them to color other things as well, like ribbon and buttons to match my card colours! Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie PezoletMarch 7, 2012 at 10:08 PM

    I just love the colours, the way they react with water, the way theyblend so effortlessly. The new seasonal colours are awesome too :) Tim rocks!
    stephpezstampin(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete