Thursday, September 20, 2012

Update from Sheila regarding the fire



**Please scroll down for a chance to win our blog candy by guessing how many buttons!**

Sheila wanted me to let you know that the support and kindness of many has been felt over and over again during this emotional rollercoaster period for Mike, Sheila and family. The donations of clothes, toiletries, gift cards and donations have helped immensely as they start to put their life back together. Sheila has even started to come back to work slowly and being around all her valued customers has helped the healing process greatly. Some of you have asked that I repost the Trust account information as you are just hearing about this for the first time. The account is held at Bank of Montreal. The Transit # is 2977 Account # 8996-741. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to leave a comment on this post and myself or Lori will get back to you asap.

I have a confession to make- Sheila asked me to share this news with you a few days ago. In fact today I have started and stopped writing this post many many times. As it is now after midnight I have told myself sternly that I can't go to sleep until this is done. Sheila is counting on me. The problem is .. I don't want to write it- it still hurts a lot. The first picture is of the couch Sheila was sitting on while she was unaware that her house was on fire and already burning down around her on the outside. The pictures scare me and they should. I have been guilty of leaving a candle burning while I go upstairs to do laundry or craft for a little while. I am sure we all have situations that we can look back on and even though we know the 'fire safety' rules we may have been lax in following them to the letter. Please let this be a reminder to never leave a candle burning unattended- especially with small children or pets around. As well check all of your smoke detectors and ensure all have fresh batteries and are in working condition. I know I am going to be more diligent from now on and I hope these messages inspire you to do the same. 

Before I end this post I want to share the note Sheila included in her SGD email to customers who have signed up for it. In case you haven't you can read it below.

A little note from Scrappin' Sheila ...  As many of you know, my family and I recently lost our home due to a devastating fire.  It is something you think will never happen to you ... until, of course, it does.  It has been an emotional ride for us and we cannot thank you enough for your prayers, thoughts and support as we continue to figure all of this out.  Our hearts are truly filled with so much appreciation.  Our community has been with us all the way - the outpouring of support has been truly incredible.  We have recently moved from a hotel room into a lovely rental unit.  Our "new" home is close to the home we lost.  Our girls are once again surrounded by their friends and familiar surroundings.  Mike and I would like to thank our staff members who have been working extra hard to keep our business going.   To you, our customers, our friends, our family ... thank you for everything.  It is true what they say; Home truly is where the heart is ... I feel so incredibly blessed ....  Hug someone you love today ... Sheila xo

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this...it is such a reality check. You mention candles...I have always loved candles, always having them around my house. Some years ago, I had 2 beautiful candles burning on my mantle in the evening. I went to bed before and for whatever strange reason, I did not blow out the candles. A few hours later I woke up to use the washroom and when I came out of the bedroom...those candles were still burning. I could not believe it...it scared me so much that I have never burned a candle since. Sheila and her family's tragedy has brought so much to light for me as to safety and loving our family's and making sure we show it. Thank the Lord that Sheila and her family are safe. I am off to hug my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick question: But is there no house insurance after the fire happened???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie- thankfully yes there was. Unfortunately they are not quick to provide $$ as there is a claim process to go through and it can take some time before any is given. Understandable but frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I brought in my crew from Toronto for shopping on our way to our first ever scrapping/cardmaking retreat. I left a (small) donation in the jar for Sheila. The staff were very friendly and helpful as well as (I think it was) a class teacher in explaining products and where to find things. Your store is lovely and your crop space is fantastic. Wish I lived closer! Thank goodness for internet shoppin!

    Good luck with the rest of the recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On behalf of Sheila: Thank you so much for stopping in at the store and for your donation! We hope you enjoyed your retreat and hope you can make the trip here from Toronto more often!!!

      Delete
  5. OHHHH MYYY Goodness, I am ss this has happened Sheila, I can't stop crying for you and your loss, and I thank god you still have your loved ones. How scarry.....I never light candles but my sister does allll the time and I worry about that, she also uses those plug in air freshener things, soo dangerous and sooo scarry. It happens so fast. I am just so sry, I was without my computer for quite a while and didn't know this had happened. I am glad you are starting to pick up the pieces of your lives and the girls have a sense of normalcy by living close to their old neighbourhood, that will help with healing as well. I pray the insurance company gets through all the red tape quickly so you can get into your new home and start making new forever memories, perfect scrapbook moments ;) Cheers, hugs and prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy, your kind words and prayers mean a lot to Sheila and her family! I will be sure to pass this comment on to Sheila. Thanks again, enjoy your day!

      Delete